University of California, Riverside

Department of Chemistry

Undergraduate Program

Undergraduate Student Affairs Office

Jingsong Zhang

Professor of Chemistry & Undergraduate Advisor

Jaime A. Matute

Undergraduate Student Affairs
zhang Office: 132 Chemical Sciences
Office: (951) 827 - 4197
Fax: (951) 827 - 4713
  Staff-Matute Office: 224 Chemical Sciences
Office: (951) 827 - 2436
Fax: (951) 827 - 4713

Welcome to the official website of the Undergraduate Student Affairs Office in the Department of Chemistry at the University of California, Riverside! At this site you will find information specifically for Undergraduate Chemistry Majors with links to many related areas of interest. Let's get started....
Academic Advisor - Karen Mitchell (

2014 catalog

Changing your Major into Chemistry
To change your major to Chemistry from another major within UC Riverside, there are some requirements that to fulfill.
Change of Major Criteria
Change of Major Criteria Webpage
Declaring a Minor in
Follow the guidelines to add Chemistry minor.
Coming Soon
College of Natural and Agricultural Sciences (CNAS)
Academic Advising Center
The center provides a variety of services to assist students, faculty, staff and the general public.
1223 Pierce Hall

2014-2015 UC Riverside
General Catalog

The catalog provides a roadmap for any student attending UC Riverside. It provides critical information such as course description, major requirements, and other useful information the student will need in order to navigate thru UC Riverside.

Full UCR Catalog: Link 
CHEM Catalog: Link

Major Course Summary Sheets

A one page summary of all the courses (Major and Breadth) required for the B.S. and B.A. Chemistry Degrees. These are VERY USEFUL sheets for planning and tracking progress towards the degree.  Please complete the appropriate sheet prior to counseling sessions with the Chemistry Advisor.

Quarterly Schedule Planning Sample

Plant out a strategy for your course of instruction, quarter by quarter and year by year.


Career Center

Graduate School in Chemistry

Making chemistry your future gives you an opportunity to explore areas which have not been discovered or explained. At graduate school, it will discover your true potential in chemistry and expand your education for the importance of society. Within the Ph.D. in Chemistry many disciplines fall under this category. Remember, there are many forms of chemistry, discovering which one fits you, will be your true task in graduate school.
(UC Riverside Ph.D in Chemistry)

 grad school


Medical, Dental, Pharmacy and Optometry

Are you interested in a different type of graduate school within the healthcare fields. Here are useful information that can apply to you.

Career Center

Here are UCR, your future is very important. For this reason, career center are dedicated to provide services that will help you find the right career for you. Many of the services include: career planning, job search, resume builder, Major/Career connections, exploring your strength, career advise, vocational testing and much much more. For more information please visit their website -

Note: side bar include many useful links and information that can help you find that career job.

Becoming a Teacher

If you are interested in obtaining a Teaching Credential you may want to consult the following link which lists the course requirements for a Single Subject Waiver in Sciences (with Emphasis in Chemistry):

Although the State of California has not yet approved this plan, you might use this as a guide to plan a course of study. For more information about a Teaching Credential, visit the following websites:

UCR Research Opportunities


Doing undergraduate research is a great opportunity to learn by doing and apply the chemistry knowledge you have acquired through coursework. Most of the UCR Chemistry professors involve un dergraduates in their research. Research in the Chemistry Department covers the sub-disciplines of analytical, inorganic, organic and physical chemistry as well as many interdisciplinary fields such as materials science, environmental chemistry and computational chemistry. Each faculty member provides a description of their research on the department's webpage so that you can acquaint yourself with the diversity of chemistry research at UCR - we really have a lot going on here! As the central science, the knowledge and training provided by your chemistry degree will equip you to do research on chemically-based projects in many related areas.  Contact the faculty member by email and ask to make an appointment to discuss the possibility of doing research in their group. The UCR honors program has good website that provides more advice about how to get started in undergraduate research

Undergraduate Research in the Chemistry Department

  • CHEM 197 - Sophomore or Junior standing (45-134.9 units completed); you may enroll in 1-4 units per quarter; repeatable
  • CHEM 199 - Senior standing (135 or more units completed); you may enroll in 1-4 units per quarter; repeatable to 9 units.
  • CHEM 199H - Senior standing (135 or more units completed); minimum GPA of 3.00 in chemistry courses and in all university course work; you may enroll in 1-5 units per quarter; repeatable to 9 units.

Note: Each unit of enrollment is equivalent to 3 hours of work per week.

Enrollment into research courses requires the completion of one year of general chemistry (CHEM 001A and CHEM 01LA, CHEM 001B and CHEM 01LB, CHEM 001C and CHEM 01LC), and usually one year of organic chemistry (CHEM 112A, CHEM 112B, CHEM 112C) with a good gpa (>2.0).

Once you have satisfied the requirements, your next step is to find a faculty member you will like to do research for. Then, the faculty member will send an email to the Undergraduate SAO in the Chemistry Department (Jaime Matute - to add you into the course. Note: You cannot enroll yourself into an Undergraduate research course without written faculty permission. Students who enroll themselves without permission will be dropped.

Finding a Faculty Mentor
Once you've decided to participate in Undergrad Research

  • Check out the Chemistry Department website Faculty link for potential faculty mentors.
  • Read faculty bio-sketches outlining various research projects. Make a list of the names, email addresses, phone numbers and room numbers of their laboratory or office.
  • Identify a few faculty and set up interviews with them - read about their general area of research and, if possible, a couple of their published papers before your meeting, contact them by phone or e-mail. Be sure the faculty member knows how to get in touch with you.
  • Arrive at your faculty interview prepared to ask questions about the research of the laboratory, talk with other undergraduate students, graduate students and postdoctoral students working in the lab you are trying to get in, if any are available.
  • When you and your mentor agree on a project and the number of units to be enrolled. The professor will contact Jaime Matute ( to enroll you into the course (Email should include: Full Name, Student ID#, Course Number, Number of Units, and Statement of approval for enrollment).

If you are turned down for a research project, don't take it personally as there are many reasons why a faculty member may deny your request; the current research projects may be different than the projects listed on the website, he/she may already have the max number of students, the hours you are available may not be convenient for the faculty mentor, etc.

If you need further information, please contact Jaime A. Matute - or (951) 827-2436.

Special Research Programs at UCR
  marc u   camp   msrip  
  The MARC U STAR Program is open to qualified undergraduate students majoring in the sciences with both an expressed interest in a career in biomedical research and an intention to pursue graduate education.   Our mission is to develop and implement strategies for recruiting, retaining, educating and graduating students in STEM in order to formally connect a significant number of newly minted LSAMP students to doctoral degree programs.   The goal of MSRIP is to increase the number of outstanding students from diverse backgrounds who pursue the Ph.D. by strengthening their academic and professional development for admission to the University of California campuses.  


Chemistry Course Enrollment Help

Kevin Simpson
Pierce Hall 1309A
(951) 827 - 3539
  Rena Hayashi
103 Science Laboratory 1
(951) 827 - 3143
  Jaime A. Matute
224 Chemical Sciences
(951) 827 - 2436
Will assist you with enrollment for
Fall, Winter, Spring and Summer
sessions into the following courses:

CHEM 001A, CHEM 001B, CHEM 001C, CHEM 01HA, CHEM 01HB, CHEM 01HC, CHEM 005, and CHEM 001W.

Kevin also signs Concurrent Enrollment forms for these courses.

Will assist you with enrollment for
Fall, Winter, Spring and Summer sessions into the following courses:

CHEM 109, CHEM 110A, CHEM 110B, CHEM 111, CHEM 112A, CHEM 112B, CHEM 112C, CHEM 113, CHEM 125, CHEM 135, CHEM 136, CHEM 140,
CHEM 150A, CHEM 150B, CHEM 166, and CHEM 191.

Rena also signs Concurrent Enrollment forms for these courses.

  Will assist you with enrollment for Fall, Winter, Spring and Summer sessions into the following courses:

CHEM 190, CHEM 197, CHEM 197H, CHEM 198-I, CHEM 199, CHEM 199H.

Honors Courses

Honors courses provide an alternative to being just another number in a large lecture hall. Split into two different types, the honors sections and the honors seminars, the courses provide additional opportunities to get the most out of your classes.

Number Course Title Season Units
CHEM 01HA Honors General Chemistry Fall 4
CHEM 01HB Honors General Chemistry Winter 4
CHEM 01HC Honors General Chemistry Spring 4
CHEM 1HLA Honors General Chemistry Laboratory F, W, Summer 1
CHEM 1HLB Honors General Chemistry Laboratory W, S, Summer 1
CHEM 1HLC Honors General Chemistry Laboratory F, S, Summer 1
CHEM 097H Freshman Honors Project: Introduction to Research Outside Research 1 - 4
CHEM 122H Honors Discussion for Organic Chemistry Fall 1
CHEM 123H Honors Discussion for Organic Chemistry Winter 1
CHEM 124H Honors Discussion for Organic Chemistry Spring 1
CHEM 199H Senior Research F, W, S 1 - 5

For more information please visit the website at


Name of the Scholarship
Due Date
Award Application
Department of Chemistry Alumni Scholarship Award Feb. 14, 2014 $ 1,000  PDF
Balwin-Small Scholarship for Veterans Feb. 16, 2014 $ 9,500  PDF 
Bernarr J. Hall Agricultural Scholarship Feb. 16, 2014 $ 1,500  PDF
Charles W. Coggins, Jr. Endowed Scholarship Fund Feb. 16, 2014 $ 4,736  PDF
Dana King Scholarship Feb. 16, 2014 $ 7,061 PDF
Dr. Mir S. Mulla & Leila Mulla Endowed Scholarship Funds Feb. 16, 2014 $ 6,000  PDF
Dr. Janet M. Boyce Memorial Endowed Fund for Women Majoring in the Sciences Feb. 16, 2014 $ 3,698  PDF
Frank Cozza Agriculture Scholarship Feb. 16, 2014 $ 1,000  PDF
Hasegawa Memorial Fund Feb. 16, 2014 $ 3,806  PDF
Herbert Kraft Scholarship Feb. 16, 2014 $ 4,621  PDF
Homer and Daisy Chapman Endowed Scholarship Fund for Citrus Research Feb. 16, 2014 $ 2,533  PDF
James and Margaret Lesley Annual Prize Feb. 16, 2014 $ 300  PDF
James Merrill and Adeline Wallace Annual Prize Feb. 16, 2014 $ 1,850 PDF
Mark and Eve Schroeder Endowed Student Award Feb. 16, 2014 $ 1,659  PDF
Moore-Gandolfo Memorial Scholarship in Chemistry Feb. 16, 2014 $ 1,416 PDF
Nathaniel T. Coleman Endowed Scholarship Fund Feb. 16, 2014 $ 840  PDF
Tejal Reddy Endowed Chancellor's Scholarship Funds Feb. 16, 2014 $ 2,809  PDF


UC Admission Requirements

1.) Subject Requirement: Complete a minimum of 15 college-preparatory courses (“a-g” courses), with at least 11 finished prior to the senior year of high school.

  • History/Social Science: 2 years
  • English: 4 years
  • Mathematics: 3 years, 4 recommended
  • Laboratory Science: 2 years, 3 recommended
  • Language other than English: 2 years, 3 recommended
  • Visual and Performing Art: 1 year
  • College-Preparatory Elective: 1 year

The University accepts only “a-g” courses that appear on the official UC-Certified Course list. At least seven of those 15 units must be taken or validated in the last two years of high school. All courses must be completed with a grade of C or better. More information about “a-g” subjects and courses at specific California high schools is available at

2.) Scholarship Requirement: Students must earn a grade point average (GPA) of 3.0 or better (3.4 for nonresidents of California) in “a-g” courses taken during 10th and 11th grades, including the summers before and after these years.

3.) Examination Requirement: Students must take and report scores from either the ACT with Writing or the SAT Reasoning by December of their senior year. Students are not required to take the SAT subject tests. However, students are encouraged to take SAT subject tests to:

  • Demonstrate mastery of a particular subject
  • Apply for a competitive major that recommends certain subject tests
  • Use the subject tests to satisfy the “a-g” requirements listed above

Students applying to majors in the College of Natural and Agricultural Sciences are strongly encouraged to take SAT subject exams in Math Level 2 and either Chemistry or Physics. For more information about the examination requirement, click here.

Any additional information about attending UC Riverside please visit at


More Information 

General Campus Information

University of California, Riverside
900 University Ave.
Riverside, CA 92521
Tel: (951) 827-1012

Department Information

Department of Chemistry
Chemical Sciences
501 Big Springs Road

Tel: (951) 827-3789 (Chair's Assistant)
Fax: (951) 827-2435 (confidential)