University of California, Riverside

Department of Chemistry

Undergraduate Program



Office: 444 Chemical Sci.
Tel: (951) 827-4924
Fax: (951) 827-4713

224 Chemical Sci.
Tel: (951) 827-2436
Fax: (951) 827-4713

Welcome to the official website of the Undergraduate Student Affairs Office in the Department of Chemistry at the University of California, Riverside! At this site you will find information specifically for Undergraduate Chemistry Majors with links to many related areas of interest. Let's get started....

Academic Support

Major Summary Sheet
B.A. in Chemistry
B.S. in Chemistry
B.S. in CHEM with a Chemical Physics option
B.S. in CHEM with an Environmental Chemistry option
B.A. & B.S. Breadth Requirements
Academic Change Summary Sheet
Change your MAJOR to CHEM                                        
Declaring a MINOR in CHEM


Transfer student into CHEM
Catalog Academic Advising
Enrollment Adjustment
Enrollment Assistance
(CHEM 190, 197, 198I, 199, 199H)
Jeffery Matute (951) 827-2436
Enrollment Assistance
(Weeks 1 - 10)
Carla Ruiz (951) 827-2562
Enrollment Adjustment Form
(Weeks 3 - 10)
Add a Class, Change a Section, Withdraw from (drop) a Class, Change your grading basis, Change Variable Units.
Enrollment Manag. Center

UCR Research Opportunities

Underg. Research in the CHEM Department
CHEM 197
Sophomore or Junior Standing - you may enroll 1-4 units per quarter; repeatable to 6 unit MAX
CHEM 199

Senior Standing - you may enroll 1-4 units per quarter; repeatable to 9 units MAX

Senior Standing - you may enroll 1-5 units per quarter; repeatable to 9 units MAX.
NOTE: minimum 3.00 GPA CUM
Enrollment Assistance

Requirements =  CHEM 001A and CHEM 01LA, CHEM 001B and CHEM 01LB, CHEM 001C and CHEM 01LC, and usually one year of Organic Chemistry (CHEM 112A, CHEM 112B, CHEM 112C)

Once you have satisfied these requirements above, your next step is to speak with your Academic Advisor Shana Medah ( or your designated academic advisor during drop-in hours and pick up a “Request for Chemistry Research/Special Studies” form. In order to have this request fulfilled, you must have approval from your Academic Advisor AND your Faculty member of interest. Once the form is signed by your advisor and Faculty member, submit the form to the Undergraduate Student Affairs office in the Chemistry Department (

Note = You cannot enroll yourself into an undergraduate research course. Students who enroll themselves without permission will be dropped.

Analytical Chemical Biology Computational Environmental
Inorganic Materials Organic Physical

Special Research Programs at UCR

  • MARC U STAR: Maximizing Access to Research Careers Undergraduate Student Training in Academic Research

    Click Here

    CAMP: California Alliance for Minority Participation
    Click Here
    MSRIP: Mentoring Summer Research Internship Program
    Click Here
    STEM Pathway Program
    Click Here

Non-UCR Research Opportunities

CHEM Honors Courses

Active Honors Courses
Honors General Chemistry FALL 4
Honors General Chemistry WINTER


Honors General Chemistry SPRING 4
Honors General Chemistry Laboratory FALL 1
Honors General Chemistry Laboratory WINTER 1
Honors General Chemistry Laboratory SPRING 1
Honors Organic Chemistry FALL 3
Honors Organic Chemistry WINTER 3
Honors Organic Chemistry SPRING 3
Honors Organic Chemistry Laboratory FALL 1
Honors Organic Chemistry Laboratory WINTER 1
Honors Organic Chemistry Laboratory SPRING 1
Honors Organic Chemistry Discussion FALL 1
Honors Organic Chemistry Discussion WINTER 1
Honors Organic Chemistry Discussion SPRING 1
Freshman Honors Project: Introduction to Research OUTSIDE RESEARCH 1
Senior Honors Research F, W, S, SUMMER 1-5
Honors Course Search

Career Planning

UC Graduate Programs
University of California, Berkeley
Click Here
University of California, Davis
Click Here
University of California, Irvine
Click Here
University of California, Los Angeles
Click Here
University of California, Merced
Click Here
University of California, Riverside
Click Here
University of California, San Diego
Click Here
University of California, San Francisco
Click Here
University of California, Santa Barbara
Click Here
University of California, Santa Cruz
Click Here
Career Center HPAC

Applying to UC Riverside

Gather Your Information

You must complete a minimum of 15 college-preparatory ("a-g") courses:

a. History/Social Science: 2 years
b. English: 4 years
c. Mathematics: 3 years, 4 recommended
d. Laboratory Science: 2 years, 3 recommended
e. Language other than English: 2 years, 3 recommended
f. Visual and Performing Arts: 1 year
g. College-Preparatory Elective: 1 year

Test Scores

You must take the ACT with Writing or the SAT Reasoning Test by December of your senior year.

* SAT Subject Tests are not required, but you may want to take them to demonstrate subject mastery, satisfy an “a-g” requirement or apply for a major that recommends them. For example, the Bourns College of Engineering and the College of Natural and Agricultural Sciences recommend Math Level 2 and either Chemistry or Physics.

Write Your Personal Statement

  • Respond to two prompts (General Prompt and Freshman or Transfer Prompt)

    One general and either the freshman or transfer. Use a maximum of 1,000 words total. Allocate the word count as you wish, but each answer should be at least 250 words.

    General Prompt

    (All): Tell us about a personal quality, talent, accomplishment, contribution or experience that is important to you. What about this quality or accomplishment makes you proud and how does it relate to the person you are?

    Describe the world you come from — for example, your family, community or school — and tell us how your world has shaped your dreams and aspirations.
    What is your intended major? Discuss how your interest in the subject developed and describe any experience you have had in the field — such as volunteer work, internships and employment, participation in student organizations and activities — and what you have gained from your involvement.

Complete the UC Application

  • Access the online UC application beginning Aug. 1. Submit your application Nov. 1-30.
    All applications are due Nov. 30.
    The fee is $70 for each UC ($80 for international/non-immigrant applicants).
    You can apply for a fee waiver when you fill out the online UC application. You’ll need your family's income and the number of people supported by it.
    If you have difficulties, email or call (800) 207-1710 (US) or (661) 336-5723 (outside US).
UCR Admissions UC Application

After You Apply

  • Print your receipt.
    Watch for a confirmation email. As soon as you apply, you should recieve one. If you do not, contact, (800) 207-1710 (US) or (661) 336-5723 (outside US).
    Create a My UCR Account and link it to your application to get the most up-to-date information on your admissions status. Freshmen admission notification begins mid-January. Transfer admission notification begins March 1.
    Update your application (transfer students). Log in and update your grades and course records by January 31.
    You can make changes to your application after you apply!

More Information 

General Campus Information

University of California, Riverside
900 University Ave.
Riverside, CA 92521
Tel: (951) 827-1012

Department Information

Department of Chemistry
Chemical Sciences
501 Big Springs Road

Tel: (951) 827-3789 (Chair's Assistant)
Fax: (951) 827-2435 (confidential)