College of Natural & Agricultural Sciences



UCR Education Abroad Office

Welcome to the official Department of Chemistry UCR Education Abroad Office!
At this site you will find information specifically for studying abroad and helpful links.
Let's get started....


UCR Pre-Approved Chemistry Courses for Major Credit

Steps Instructions Sample Schedule
Step 1

Meet with Undergraduate Faculty Advisor
(Need Approval before international course is taken)

Bachelor of Arts
Bachelor of Science
B.S. in Chemical Physics
B.S. in Environmental Chemistry

Step 2
Apply / Attend / Complete International Course
(Keep Syllabus from course) 
Step 3
Meet with Undergraduate Faculty Advisor
(Transfer International course credit to UCR credit)

UCR Education Abroad

UC Education Abroad PrograM (UCEAP) 

Faculty Led Education abroad programs (fleap)

Opportunities abroad programs (OAP)

EA Chat Room Monday-Friday 1:00pm-5:00pm (Link)

CHEM 110A - Physical Chemistry: Chemical Thermodynamics

University of Edinburgh

CHEM 10049: Physical Techniques in Action Level 10

Chinese University of Hong Kong

CHEM 2300: Thermodynamics and Chemical Equilibrium


CHEM 110B - Physical Chemistry: Introduction to Statistical Mechanics and Kinetics

University of Edinburgh

CHEM 11042: Physical Techniques in Action Level 11

Chinese University of Hong Kong

CHEM 3320: Chemical Kinetics


CHEM 111 - Physical Chemistry Laboratory

Chinese University of Hong Kong

CHEM 2830: Physical Chemistry Laboratory 1


CHEM 143 - Chemical Biology

Australian National University

CHEM 3207: Current Topics in Chemical Biology


CHEM 150A - Inorganic Chemistry

University of Edinburgh

CHEM 10025: Techniques and Concepts in Inorganic Chemistry Level 10


CHEM 166 - Advanced Structural and Synthetic Methods

Australian National University

CHEM 3013: NMR Spectroscopy and Mass Spectrometry of Small and Large Molecules


CHEM 197 - Research for Undergraduates

Australian National University

CHEM 3060: Research Project in Chemistry


CHEM 199 (199H) - Senior Research (Honors)

Australian National University

CHEM 3060: Research Project in Chemistry


Specific Programs

University of Tokyo (School of Science)
1. Global Science Course (GSC) = is a undergraduate 2 year-long transfer program for chemistry students. Its designed to enhance cross-cultural interactions among young minds from around the world coming to gather to learn chemistry. All GSC classes are conducted in English by world-leading professors who are pursuing cutting-edge research in the most advanced fields, while also focusing on the fostering of students who will lead the nest generation in science communities. Successful applicants to our program are rewarded with a generous scholarship. This includes 150,000 Japanese yen per month to aid in paying tuition fees and support living expenses.It additionally includes fully supported rent. (More Information)

2. Research Internship Program (UTRIP) = This is a 6 week summer internship program for students majoring in natural science and other relevant fields. It provides students with an opportunity to gain the experience of "real graduate school life" or "research centered life". UTRIP is a gateway to pursing an advanced degree and experiencing academic life at our university. Participants on UTRIP will also get be granted financial support to cover their costs and expenses. They will also get the opportunity to take part in cultural activist and excursions to learn more about Japan. (More Information)

University of Science and Technology of China
Here is an excellent opportunity to spend about 2 summer weeks in one of the best Chinese Universities for learning and research experience, with ALL the cost (round-trip air ticket and room and board) completely covered.  The program is "Future Chemist International Summer Camp" (FCISC) at the University of Science and Technology of China (USTC).  For more information, please visit  and

Steps to apply for University of California Education Abroad Program (UCEAP)


  1. Complete your Student Profile on MyUCR Abroad. UCR students log in with your NetID. Non-UCR students will need to register on MyUCR Abroad first.
  2. Attend an Information Session (required). Sign up in MyUCR Abroad, or find dates/times in our Events Calendar on MyUCR Abroad.
  3. Research UCEAP programs on MyUCR Abroad.
  4. Attend an Application Workshop (required).
  5. Use the "Search Programs" tab on MyUCR Abroad to choose your program. Then click the "Apply" button and choose the term you would like to go abroad.
  6. Complete the online application. This will require you to complete the UCEAP Application first to obtain the necessary documents to be uploaded for the education abroad application. You may email us at with questions.
  7. If your UCEAP application requires documentation that needs to be signed or certified by an Education Abroad advisor, an advisor will be available to complete your documents on Mondays, from 3:00 to 4:30 pm or on the deadline day from 8:30 am to 4:30 pm.

Questions? Please email us at or attend the required UCEAP Application workshop.

UCR Study Abroad

UCEAP - Deadlines

Financial Support

Even if studying abroad is a worthwhile investment—and often affordable—you might need help financing your program. The good news is, in most cases you can apply some or all of your financial aid to your study abroad program:

To apply any of your financial aid to your study abroad program, you must earn academic credits or units on your program.

If you’re currently using a Cal or PELL Grants, you may use them for your study abroad program. Talk to your study abroad advisor about this.


If you go on an Education Abroad Program (Non-USA):
  • You may use eligible federal, state, UCR grant, and scholarships.
  • Financial aid also includes student and parental loans.
  • You will continue to pay UC tuition and fees.
  • After acceptance, your UCR financial aid will be re-packaged according to the cost of your program.
  • If you don’t currently receive UC financial aid, you may qualify for student or parental loans while on an EAP.


Helpful Resources:
  • NAFSA: Association of International Educators - A resource for undergraduate students, this website lists funding sources that include federal aid, state aid and scholarships. It also provides a sample budget worksheet and hidden costs to consider.
  • - Choose from scholarships awarded based on merit, diversity factors, your destination, your program or the subject you will study.
  • - A full-scale resource for anyone interested in studying abroad, this site lists scholarships in three categories: “General Study Abroad” for all students, “Diversity in Study Abroad” for underrepresented students and “Nontraditional Countries” for those who study in Africa, Asia, Latin America, the Middle East and the Caribbean.
  • - This site lists a wide range of scholarships with info about loans and how to apply for them.
  • Institute for International Education - The IIEPassport for Study Abroad Funding provides information on various study abroad grants and scholarships.
  • UCEAP Scholarship - UCEAP provided scholarships that can help fund your study abroad experience.
  • Fund My Travel - A creative way to create an online travel campaign to raise funds for your study abroad experience.


  • Applying to many scholarships increases your chances of receiving funding. While each scholarship has its own level of competitiveness, all have the same goal of helping students to study or work abroad. We encourage you to read each website carefully for eligibility, application instructions and deadlines. Most of all, good luck!

    • UCEAP Scholarships - UCEAP wants its participants to afford the tremendous opportunities of studying abroad. So it offers $700,000 each year in scholarships, which include:
    • Bridging Scholarships - Geared toward U.S. undergraduate students who study for one semester or an academic year in Japan, the US-Japan Bridging Foundation helps America’s young people to prepare for future global leadership roles. Awards up to $5,000 for the academic year.
    • Boren Awards - Representing a variety of academic backgrounds, Boren Scholarships for undergraduates and Boren Fellowships for graduate students support programs in underrepresented areas that are critical to U.S. interests. These include Africa, Asia, Central and Eastern Europe, Eurasia, Latin America, and the Middle East. They exclude Western Europe, Canada, Australia and New Zealand.
    • Critical Language Scholarship (CLS) Program - Offered by the U.S. government, the CLS Program offers intensive summer language institutes overseas in critical need foreign languages. Awarded with the expectation that they will apply their critical language skills in their future professional careers, CLS Program participants have studied Arabic, Azerbaijani, Bangla/Bengali, Chinese, Hindi, Indonesian, Japanese, Korean, Persian, Punjabi, Russian, Turkish and Urdu.
    • Deutscher Akademischer Austausch Dienst (DAAD) Scholarship - Supporting 50-60 U.S. and Canadian undergraduates each year, the DAAD Scholarship funds study, senior thesis research and internships in Germany from four to ten months.
    • Scholarships- has partnered with several organizations to offer study abroad scholarships and grants. In addition, hosts a directory of study abroad scholarship, grants, and fellowships.
    • Freeman Asia Scholarship - Supporting American undergraduates who study overseas in East or Southeast Asia, the Freeman-ASIA (Freeman Awards for Study in Asia) helps to increase the number of Americans with first-hand exposure to—and understanding of—the people and cultures of Asia.
    • Fulbright Scholarship - Formed in 1946, the Fulbright Program is the flagship international educational exchange program sponsored by the U.S. government. Since its beginning, the Fulbright Program has helped nearly 300,000 participants to study, teach and conduct research abroad.
    • Gilman Scholarship - Targeting U.S. undergraduates receiving Federal Pell Grant funding, the Benjamin A. Gilman International Scholarship Program helps students of limited financial means to study in non-traditional study abroad destinations.

    Additional scholarship resource information can be found on the UCEAP website for Study Abroad programs that are not UC affiliated.


Study Abroad - Finance Support

UCR Financial Aid

Health and Safety Support

At UCR, your health and safety are our top priorities. We hope they’re yours too! Maximizing the safety and well-being of students who travel abroad is of utmost concern. This involves tracking student activity, consultation on risk abatement and best practices for health and safety, orientation for students, and creating mechanisms in limiting severe incidents and responding quickly and efficiently to incidents when they occur. Remember, as you prepare to go and while you’re abroad it’s up to you more so than ever to make the right choices and do the right thing to ensure a healthy and safe experience. Read and follow the guidelines below.

What To Do While Abroad

UC Campuses with Study Abroad Programs

UC Campus Chemistry Department Office Campus Office
UC Berkeley
College of Chemistry Berkeley Study Abroad
UC Davis
Department of Chemistry UC Davis Study Abroad
UC Irvine
No Information Available Study Abroad Center
UC Los Angeles
No Information Available International Education Office
UC Merced
No information Available UC Merced Study Abroad
UC Riverside
Department of Chemistry UCR Study Abroad
UC San Diego
CHEM & Biochemistry UC San Diego Study Abroad
UC San Francisco
No Information Available No Information Available
UC Santa Barbara
CHEM & Biochemistry Education Abroad Program
UC Santa Cruz
No Information Available  UCSC Study Abroad
Let us help you with your search